Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Nangarhar PC to investigate electricity issue

Nangarhar PC to investigate electricity issue

Jun 21, 2015 - 15:23

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The provincial council (PC) on Sunday said it would investigate electricity related problems in eastern Nangarhar province.

The council secretary, Ajmal Omar, told a consultative meeting with civil societyinfo-icon activists in Jalalabad, the provincial capital, a permanent solution should be found to the electricity issue in the province.

His remarks come after the provincial electricity department announced launching repair work to fix broken power supply lines in Ozbin area of the Sarobi district.

The lines were sabotaged 10 days ago by local residents to press the authorities to provide them electricity, plunging Jalalabad into darkness.

The electricity department director, Mohib Rahman Momand, said they had reached an agreement with local residents on the issue.

Ajmal Omar told the gathering: “We will investigate why a permanent solution is not sought to the electricity issue, what is the next plan to avoid sabotage acts in future.”

He said the government should question officials why they had passed the power lines through the insecure Ozbin area instead of erecting power pylons along the Kabulinfo-icon Jalalabad highway.

Member of the provincial council, Israrullah Murad, said they had got the news that electricity officials had launched fixing the broken lines in the Ozbin area.

However, he stressed a permanent solution to the problem in order to avoid such incidents in future.

Civil society activist, Asadullah Khaliz, said the people of Ozbin area had been promised electricity long ago, but the government was yet to deliver on the promise. He said residents had cut the power cables in reaction.

He said the government should extend power supply to the Ozbin area and urged residents of the area not to cut power cables to Nangarhar as a lever to press for their demands.

The electricity director, Eng. Mohib Rahman Momand, told Pajhwok Afghan News tribal elders from Nangarhar, Laghman and Sarobi district held successful talks with the Ozbin residents, allowing electricity officials to start fixing the lines.

He said the delegation of tribal elders and religious scholars sent to the Ozbin area for talks had been able to get approval from local residents for the repair work to be started.

Momand said engineers and technicians reached the Ozbin area about 4:30am and power would be restored to Nangarhar and Laghman by the end of the day.

The governor’s spokesman, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, also confirmed the problem in Ozbin area had been resolved and work to fix the lines had been started. He said the power supply would be restored until Sunday noon.

Earlier some reports claimed insurgents based in the Ozbin area had demanded money from the power utility in return for allowing electricity to Nangarhar and Laghman provinces.

But Momand rejected the reports and said not a single penny had been paid to anyone.

He said the demand of the Ozbin residents that they should be extended electricity was legitimate and their demand had been accepted.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update