Work to restore Nangarhar electricity supply begins
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Local officials said on Sunday that work has been started to restore power supply to eastern Nangarhar and Laghman provinces.
The power lines had been cut by Taliban in Uzbin area of the district from the past 10 days and faced the residents of the provinces with problems.
The residents had also held protests against disconnection of power supply and accused central government of negligence.
Nangarhar power director Eng. Muhib Rahman Momand told Pajhwok Afghan News that tribal elders and Ulama of Laghman province and Sarobi district helped them start repairing the electricity lines today.
He said that a delegation of Ulama and tribal elders had been sent to the area to hold talks with people to let them repair the broken lines. The technical team had arrived at around 4:00am this morning and would try to provide electricity to Nangarhar and Laghman today, Momand said.
A day earlier, Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DBAS) or power utility spokesman Wahid Tawhidi said two Taliban commanders were preventing the power lines from repairing.
He said that tribal elders convinced the Taliban militants to let them repair the power lines.