India wants NATO pullout plan reconsidered
KABUL (Pajhwok): India’s permanent representative to the United Nations Asoke Kumar Mukerji has asked the international community to reconsider the troop pullout plan from Afghanistan keeping in mind the deteriorating security situation in the war-ravaged country.
Addressing the UN Security Council on Monday, the Indian envoy said there was a strong case for the international community to take a fresh look at the manner the drawdawn of the international military presence was being planned out given the critical phase of the political transition had entered in Afghanistan.
He said UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon’s latest report that showed 45 percent increase in armed conflicts in Afghanistan this year only reinforced the view that terrorism not tribal differences or ethnic rivalries had been the main source of insecurity and instability in Afghanistan.
His remarks come the day eight suicide bombers attacked the Afghanistan parliament in Kabul, leaving two civilians dead and 28 others wounded. No lawmaker was hurt in the brazen attack that lasted one and half an hour until the last attacker was killed.
Nicholas Haysom, the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) chief, said Afghan security forces were "undeniably stretched" but resilient amid a push by insurgents for more territory.
"The Afghan National Security Forces face operational challenges, their commitment is beyond question and they are demonstrating resilience in the face of insurgent efforts to take and hold ground," Haysom told the UN Security Council.
Mukerji said the security situation in Afghanistan was not good that required the international community to reconsider the exit plan from Afghanistan.
The NATO combat mission had ended Dec 31, 2014 and the new mission to train and assist Afghan security forces is underway involving about 12000 foreign troops, who are expected to return home next year.
In his report, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the conflict and clashes in Afghanistan had increased by 45 percent compared to the previous year and that 7180 foreign militants were operating in Afghanistan.
Mukerji said the militants in Afghanistan had foreign backing without which they could not enter or operate in the country. However, he did not name any country.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.