Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Spymaster warns of mounting insecurity in coming months

Spymaster warns of mounting insecurity in coming months

Jun 27, 2015 - 17:38

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): The National Directorate of Security (NDSinfo-icon) chief has said plans have been chalked out to tackle the threat from Daesh, warning security situation will deteriorate in coming months.

With the same breath, however, Rahmatullah Nabil said the country’s security forces were capable to deal with any eventuality.

He expressed these views at the Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon (WJ) to brief the house about the current security situation across the country. He said the National Security Council (NSC) would discuss Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Islamabad.

NDS chief, Interior Minister Noor-ul-Haq Ulumi and Maj. Gen. Afzal Aman, operation commander at the Ministry of Defence (MoD) were summoned by the WJ to inform the house about over all security, attacks on the parliament, recent recruitment in the spy-service and distribution of Computerized Identity (ID) Cards.

Nabil said Talibaninfo-icon had planned six times to attack the parliament building. The intelligence officials foiled such attacks five times, however, only one time they were somehow successful to stage attack.

He said some individuals who had links with attack on parliament had been detained earlier. The NDS chief said security forces wanted to regain control of areas which were not under their control.

He said the coming month would be more difficult and there would more violence, but these incidents would not demoralize Afghan forces.

He said talented and energetic youth had been appointed on different posts in the spy-service of the country. He hoped the newly-appointed men would be an asset in the future.

Regarding the controversial MoU with Pakistaninfo-icon, he said that President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani said the agreement had not been signed with Pakistan.

He said the deal could be inked after it passed through five processes. The official said the president would present the draft to the NSC this week for debate.

Answering to MPs concerns over the growing influence of Daesh, the spy-network chief said a plan had been prepared to deal with Islamic State (IS). He, however, refused to go into the details.

He said neighboring countries and smuggling of drugs were major sources of income for militants to fuel insurgency.

Maj. Gen. Afzal Aman told the house militant presence had been noticed in every part of the country. He said in the first three months of this year more attacks had been launched by the enemy as compared to the first three months of the previous year.

He said militants had intensified their attacks in 2015 and tried to capture districts in northern province, but they were unable due to stout resistance by security forces.

Interior Minister Noor-ul-Haq Ulumi said transfer of security and vacuum created by withdrawal of foreign troops were main causes of surge in violence.

There should not be any doubt over the abilities Afghan forces, he said, adding that due to lack of coordination among security forces some district lost to insurgents.

He said due to some technical problems the process of Computerized Identity Cards could not be kicked-off. He, however, assured that sooner than later the process would begin.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update