7 commanders among 22 rebels dead in Kandahar offensive
KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): At least 22 Taliban fighters have been killed during an operation in the Maiwand district of southern Kandahar province, an official said on Sunday.
Samim Khpalwak, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News the military operation had been extended to areas where militants had sway. He confirmed killing 22 insurgents, including seven commanders, during the offensive.
Security forces also suffered casualties but exact numbers could not be ascertained.
Zia Durrani, provincial police spokesman, said insurgents controlled Maiwand and Ghorak districts from Garmawak, where a military operation was ongoing. He also confirmed casualties inflicted on militants.
The Taliban, however, have not yet commented on the military offensive.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.