Militants to be given tough time in next 6 months: Ulumi
KABUL (Pajhwok): Interior Minister Noor-ul-Haq Ulumi said on Sunday militants would be eliminated in six month as security forces had proved they could defend the motherland.
Earlier, Rahmatullah Nabil, National Directorate of Security (NDS) chief, had warned security situation would deteriorate in coming months.
Higher Education Minister Farida Momand and interior minister were summoned to the Meshrano Jirga to brief lawmakers about overall security situations, recent recruitment in the ministry, distribution of Computerized Identity (ID) Cards and shutting the road leading to the 200 beds hospital by the Polytechnic University.
The interior minister said: “Militants will be perished in coming six months as the security forces are determined to bring peace and stability to the country.”
He said the country would never plunge into crisis as security officials were fully capable to defend the motherland.
He told lawmakers that transfer of security and vacuum created by withdrawal of foreign troops were main causes of surge in violence. In addition, he said influx of Taliban fighters from Pakistan into Afghanistan were among other reason of growing insecurity.
There should not be any doubt over the abilities of Afghan forces, he said, adding that due to lack of coordination among security forces some district lost to insurgents.
The government, he said was fully aware about threats posed by anti-state elements in the east where clearing operation would soon be launched.
He said due to some technical problems the process of Computerized Identity Cards could not be kicked-off. He, however, assured that sooner than later the process would begin.
Regarding the issues faced by the Afghan Local Police (ALP), he said a commission had been formed and dispatched to 29 provinces to assess the situation closely.
About the fresh appointments in the ministry, Ulumi said talented and deserving individuals had been appointed irrespective of ethnic and linguistic privileges.
Commenting over the closure of a road leading to the 200-bed hospital in capital Kabul, he said the road was closed for traffic by the Polytechnic University officials following order by the president.
He went on to say work on alternative road had been started which would take two months to complete.
But Higher Education Minister Farida Momand said secure route to the university was the Marsatoon road which had been in dilapidated condition since long.
She noted that the issue had been discussed with the municipality and Ministry of Interior (MoI) and they promised to complete the road in two months time.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.