Security forces regain control of Chardara district
KUNDUZ (Pajhwok): Officials on Sunday said security forces have regained control of Chardara district in northern Kunduz province amid reports that insurgents have destroyed and looted several government departments.
Chardara was fallen to insurgents nine days back. Two days after the incident government announced controlling the district but residents had said Taliban still were in control of the district centre.
Sayed Sarwar Hussaini, provincial police spokesman, said Taliban had destroyed two major bridges in Dobandi and Khwaja Kaftar localities, creating huge impediment in the way of clearing operations.
After reopening of the routes, he added, clearing operations were intensified and insurgents were flushed out of the district centre.
“Taliban had torched the district building and parts of the attorney general office. They have destroyed all other facilities in the buildings or have looted them,” he added.
Hussaini said there were no clashes and the security forces were busy establishing check posts and neutralizing landmines.
The residents said Taliban had used their houses to mount attacks on security forces that had resulted in damaging their houses.
Shamsuddin, a resident of Yatim village, said his house had been damaged as a result of exchange of fire between security forces and Taliban. Dozens of more houses had been damaged in the firefight, he added.
Amruddin Wali, provincial council deputy head, said majority of Yatim village residents were poor and did not have resources to rebuild their houses. He urged local officials to cooperate with the families to repair their houses somehow.
Wali said during the past one week, more than 1,000 families have been displaced from Chardara district to Kunduz capital.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.