1 civilians killed, 24 injured in Kabul convoy attack
KABUL (Pajhwok): At least One civilians were killed and another 24 wounded on Tuesday when a suicide bomber targeted a convoy of foreign forces with his explosives-laden car in capital Kabul, an official said.
Brig. Gen. Humayun Aini, the 119 police helpline chief, confirmed to Pajhwok Afghan News that it was a suicide attack that targeted foreign forces on the airport road. Without going into details, he said, the powerful blast had caused casualties.
Public Health Ministry spokesman Dr. Wahidullah Mayar said the blast left 24 persons wounded, including three children and a woman. They all were evacuated to hospitals, he added.
Mohammad Nader, an eyewitness, said it was a powerful blast that smashed windowpanes of nearby houses.
The Resolute Support Mission in Kabul said there were no coalition forces casualties in the attack that occurred at approximately 1:20pm. All personnel and vehicles had been recovered, the statement said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in an email sent by the group's spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid.
Meanwhile, the US Embassy in Kabul condemned the attack on the NATO coalition forces, saying it demonstrated the blatant disregard for human life by those seeking to disrupt Afghanistan’s democratic progress.
"The United States remains firmly committed to assisting the government of Afghanistan as it provides for the security and well-being of the Afghan people,” the embassy said in a statement.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.