Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

80 police remain surrounded in Uruzgan: MP

Security & Crime


80 police remain surrounded in Uruzgan: MP

Jul 01, 2015 - 16:57

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Hundreds of Talibaninfo-icon gunmen have surrounded about 80 policemen in their compound in central Uruzgan province for the last nine days, a lawmaker said on Wednesday, blaming the government for taking no action to rescue them.

Lawmaker Obaidullah Barekzai said a local police commander, Samad, and 80 other policemen had been surrounded by more than 800 insurgents in the Khas-Uruzgan district for the last nine days.

Barekzai said the commander had so far lost 12 men to the clashes with the insurgents and despite in contact with security officials, no measures had been taken to assist them.

He claimed two of the policemen had committed suicide to avoid surrendering to the insurgents. “The 80 policemen are facing death, if you (government) don’t send reinforcements, at least send them some weapons and ammunitions. The government purposefully wants to destroy the people.”

The lawmaker warned people would stage uprisings against the government if the situation continued. “If these forces are lost, government leaders and security officials would be responsible.”

Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon speaker Abdul Rauf Ibrahimi urged the government and security officials to assist the surrounded policemen, directing the defence and internal security commission to follow the matter.

Ministry of Defence deputy spokesperson Brig. Gen. Dawlat Waziri expressed his unawareness about the siege, saying two operations were ongoing in four districts of Uruzgan.

He said if reports about the surrounded security men were true, they would take immediate action.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update