Helmand conflict-affected families demand rights
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): As many as 600 internally displaced families in southern Helmand province demanded their registration to get their due share of rights, an official said on Thursday.
Mohammad Nadar Watanwal, director labor and social affairs, told Pajhwok Afghan News the number of injured and disabled by the conflict had been increased during this year.
More than 440 disabled persons and 134 bereaved families had registered in last three months alone. The number had increased since the lives of civilians had been completely neglected in the ongoing war, he said.
Hayatullah Mayar, secretary of Helmand provincial council, said the number of casualties were higher than mentioned by Watanwal. “These are only the names of the people hailing from the center where the war affected people of the districts did not have facilities to register,” he added.
The secretary demanded both government and anti-government fighters to follow war rules to respect civilians’ lives.
Niamatullah 12, a local resident of the locality, said: “He lost his both legs in a mine blast two months ago in Sangin district.”
He demanded the government to build durable peace and security and give right to affected people who had sacrificed their lives.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.