Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

CEO pledges army brigade to bolster Kunduz security

CEO pledges army brigade to bolster Kunduz security

Jul 07, 2015 - 14:37

KUNDUZ (Pajhwok): Expressing concern over security situation in northern Kunduz, Chief Executive Officer Abdullah Abdullah on Tuesday an army brigade to be deployed to the province soon to beef up security of the volatile region.

Earlier in the day, Abdullah flew to Kunduz to assess security situation of the province for himself.

Abdul Malik Sediqi, deputy chairman Independent Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG), Lawmaker Mirwais Yasini and Fazel Ahmad Manawi, former head of Independent Election Commission (IECinfo-icon) were accompanied the CEO.

Abdullah said the government was aware of security of Kunduz and would take initiatives to deploy new personnel to the province.

“Security situation of Kunduz is unacceptable. I will share this issue with the national security council to work out a strategy,” the CEO remarked.

He announced deployment of a new army brigade to the province to put an end to the force shortage.

Regarding people’s objections on government’s inability to improve law and order, he added: “We are inherited problems from the previous government and we are trying to ensure security and development.”

The CEO warned the local officials would be introduced to judicial organs if they neglected in their duties.

Kunduz Governor Mohammad Omar Safi told a meeting: “Kunduz has lack of security amid shortage of security forces.”

Currently, the province has only one brigade of Afghan National Army (ANA) that operated in and around the province.

Mohammad Yusuf Ayubi, provincial council head, regretted that civilians and military personnel had suffered casualties because of deteriorated security in the province.

He urged CEO to approve more troops for the province. The CEO is scheduled to speak later about the security of Kunduz.

Sayed Rahim, a local elder from Chardara, said more than 100 houses had been destroyed and thousands of people displaced due to fighting. “We were being hit both by the government and the Talibaninfo-icon,” he complained.

For over two weeks, Dasht-i-Archi district has fallen to insurgents but the government forces have retaken Chardara district.

In recent clashes, more than 220 civilians have been injured amid mass displacement due to insecurity.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update