9 militants dead in Nangarhar drone strike, clashes
ASADABAD (Pajhwok): Nine insurgents have been killed and 8 wounded in US drone strike and clashes with security forces in eastern Nangarhar province, an official said Wednesday.
Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the unmanned aircraft fired a missile which left four militants dead and two wounded on Tuesday evening in Bati Kot district.
The National Directorate of Security (NDS) coordinated and provided clue for the drone attack, he added.
Lt. Col. Hazrat Hussain Mashraqiwal, provincial police spokesman, said the drone strike left a dread Taliban commander Qari Rafiq dead on Tuesday in Haska Mina district.
Dozens of Taliban fighters had been killed in five drone strikes during the last two days in Nangarhar.
A source in the NDS wishing anonymity said that drone had killed a senior Daesh fighter.
Zabihullah Mujahid, Taliban spokesman, rejected that any Taliban fighter had been killed in drone attack.
Meanwhile, Brig. Gen. Abdul Habib Syedkhail, Kunar police chief, said four militants were killed and six others wounded when Taliban fighters stormed police check posts at 4:00 am early morning.
Two policemen were killed and three others wounded in the attack, he added. Taliban have not yet commented on the attack.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.