Condemnations rise as 33 killed in Khost bombing
KHOST CITY (Pajhwok): Officials on Monday said 33 people, mostly civilians, were killed in yesterday’s car suicide bombing near a former US military base in southeastern Khost province.
The car bombing targeted a security post near the old airfield east of Khost City, the provincial capital, at about 6:30pm, close to the US Forward Operating Base Chapman.
Mubariz Zadran, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News the attacker detonated his explosives-filled vehicle near a security post on the main highway, killing 27 civilians and six security officials.
Another 12 security men and 11 civilians were wounded in the massive blast. The dead included a dozen children and three women, according to Zadran.
Police chief Brig. Gen. Faizullah Ghairat said the blast took place on the main road, thus killing and wounding mostly civilians.
Three pick up vehicles, one car, four rickshaws and as many motorcycles stopped at the scene had completely destroyed in the blast, he said.
Critically wounded people had been shifted to hospitals in Kabul and the Bagram military base in Parwan province and the rest taken to public and private hospitals in Khost, the police chief said.
A statement from the governor’s house strongly condemned the blast as a terrorist attack and directed security organs to thoroughly investigate it.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the blast that came few months after a suicide bomber detonated his explosives among protestors, killing and wounding dozens.
Meanwhile, President Ashraf Ghani strongly condemned the car suicide bombing that killed mostly civilians, including women and children, in Khost City.
He said such actions were in violation of all religions and humanity and disrespect to the fasting month and human lives.
The president extended his deep condolences to the families of those killed and prayed for early recovery of the injured.
Former president Hamid Karzai also condemned the attack in Khost and other such attacks in other provinces.
A statement from his office said latest attacks in Khost and other provinces were huge crimes against humanity and the handiwork of Afghanistan’s enemies.
Karzai once again renewed his call for all parties to the conflict to strike a ceasefire deal and avoid attacks and military operations while talking peace.
The former president prayed to Allah, the Almighty, to place the departed souls in the Heaven and give health to those wounded.
United Nations special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Nickolas Haysom, also condemned the car bomb attack in Khost.
Haysom in a statement issued by UNAMA said a suicide attack in a marketplace had no justification. Those who carried out this attack should face punishment for their deed, he added.
He said the UN mission had been insisting on shunning the use of lethal weapons in civilian areas. He extended his condolences to the families of those killed and wounded on behalf of UNAMA.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.