‘Taliban suffered heaviest losses in 3 months’
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): The police chief on Tuesday claimed Taliban insurgents had suffered heaviest losses during operations over the past three months in southern Helmand province.
Brig. Gen. Nabi Jan Mullakhel told a police passing out ceremony here that the Taliban could no longer capture an area from security forces.
“During the past three months, police rendered many sacrifices in Kajaki, Sangin, Greshk and Musa Qala districts, but we showed that we can protect the country’s soil without foreign forces.”
Mullakhel said the Taliban had been planning to capture some areas this fighting season, but they tasted defeat at the hands of Afghan security forces and their attacks had subsided.
“Our police are well-trained. We have established blockhouses in areas which the Taliban would cross, but now their movement has been restricted.”
The police chief said the newly-graduated police officials would further strengthen police ranks.
Col. Syed Naeem Himmat, the police training centre chief, said police were trained at the centre in line with international standards.
He said 172 cadets today received their graduation certificates upon completing a two-month professional training.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.