130 rebels killed in Paktia offensive: police
GARDEZ (Pajhwok): As many as 130 militants were killed and another 80 wounded during a just concluded month-long search operation in southeastern Paktia province, an official said on Tuesday.
The operation was launched a month back after militants attacked and captured several security check posts in Samkanai and Janikhel districts.
Security forces regained control of the security posts during the operation, said Maj. Gen. Zalmai Oryakhail, the provincial police chief.
He told Pajhwok Afghan News the operation had been successful and had come to an end following the killing of as many as 130 Taliban fighters.
Another 80 militants were wounded and three soldiers were killed and four others wounded in the operation.
Two girls were also killed and another five civilians wounded in rocket fire from militants during the operation, the police chief said.
The main highway had been cleared of militants as a result of the search operation.
Sor Gul, a local elder in the Samkani district, asked the government to equip security forces with heavy weapons since the area had long been under threat from militants.
He said if the government did not pay proper attention to the security situation, the insurgents would resume their attacks on the district.
The Taliban have not yet commented about the search operation. However, they claimed killing two policemen during an attack on the Zazi Aryub district centre.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.