Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Slow-paced work on Kabul-Jalalabad highway irks governor

Slow-paced work on Kabul-Jalalabad highway irks governor

Jul 14, 2015 - 15:56

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The governor of eastern Nangarhar province criticized the slow-paced work on second Jalalabad-Torkham road and Jalalabad-Kabulinfo-icon highway and directed relevant construction companies to complete the asphalting project as soon as possible.

According to the Ministry of Public Works, the second Kabul-Jalalabad road which is extended through different route has 150 kilometers length and would cost $160 million to complete. The project is sponsored by the Worldinfo-icon Bank (WB). Around 60 kilometers of the road was completed so far.

Nangarhar governor’s spokesman Ahmad Zia Abdulzai told Pajhwok Afghan News that Governor Salim Khan Kunduzi and public order director, local security and civil officials visited the road on Monday.

The governor asked reasons behind delay of construction work from engineers and public order commanders, he said.

The contracted reconstructioninfo-icon company officials said that insecurity was the main reason that halted their work on the road that was begun around six months ago.

The company director Haji Katib told the visiting delegation that improved security was essential for workers to accelerate construction process on the road.

“We cannot proceed if the security situation is not beefed up,” he said.

Kunduzi said the contract was signed in an open bidding and the company must complete the project as soon as possible.

However, provincial police Chief Brig. Gen. Fazl Ahmad Sherzad said they had ensured enough security for the construction process and no worker was attacked or any machine was destroyed during the past six months.

He said that several Afghan National Police (ANP) and Afghan Local Police (ALP) posts were established on the road to maintain security of the construction process.

The public order police commander said that 170 security personnel was deployed to ensure security of the road but only 20 of the personnel was absent.

The commander said construction company officials were not committed to discharge their responsibilities and public order police did not receive their salaries for the last six months.

Kunduzi asked the construction company officials to share their problems with relevant departments and resume working on roads after solving them promptly.

Kunduzi also visited the construction process of second Jalalabad-Torkham highway.

The governor said that Jalalabad-Torkham highway was very important for Afghanistaninfo-icon. He added that Pakistaninfo-icon should remain committed to its pledges and complete the construction project.

However, Pakistan consulate assured governor that the work on the road would be accelerated.




Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update