Operation wrapped up in Jalrez, 10 rebels killed
MAIDAN SHAHR (Pajhwok): Ten militants, two security men and three civilians have been killed during a 10-day operation wrapped up on Wednesday in the Jalrez district of central Maidan Wardak province, the governor said.
Hayatullah Hayat told a press conference here that the operation had been officially ended and the Jalrez district had been completely cleared of militants.
He said ten insurgents were killed and another eight wounded during the offensive that resulted in the killing of three civilians and two security officials.
He said the civilians were killed in blasts caused by bombs which had been planted by the insurgents on roads.
The governor said the security posts which were destroyed by militants during a coordinated attack had been reconstructed and handed over the public order police. He also local residents would be recruited in the Afghan Local Police force and deployed at the posts.
The president-appointed delegation had completed its investigation into a Taliban attack that left several ALP personnel dead, the governor said.
A large number of armed militants attacked ALP posts in the Jarez district earlier this month, with some high ranking government officials claiming negligence in sending reinforcements to save the ALP men.
Civil society groups have also launched their own investigation into the carnage that led to debates in both houses of parliament.
Hayat said the president-appointed delegation was yet to share its findings with the provincial administration.
Maidan Wadak police chief Khalil Andarabi told the same press conference that the province served as an entrance gate to the central capital Kabul. Therefore, he added, the insurgents often attempted to create insecurity in the province. However, security forces had put in place tight security measures to frustrate enemy designs, the police chief said.
The police chief strongly rejected any negligence on their part in sending additional forces to prevent the carnage, saying a high number of militants and insecurity on the Kabul-Bamyan road had led to the deaths. He said police had timely acted to assist the ALP personnel.
Gen. Raziq, the 203 Thunder Military Corps fourth battalion commander, and public order police commander Gul Mohammad Rasikh said the recent operation in Jalrez was a success and thanked local residents for their cooperation with security forces.
They said security had been improved on the Kabul-Bamyan highway and commuters could travel on the route without any fear.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.