Kunduz PC head has embezzled 6m afs, claims governor
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): The governor of northern Kunduz province on Wednesday accused the provincial council chief of embezzling six million afghanis, an allegation the council head rejected as baseless.
Speaking to journalists, Governor Mohammad Omar Safi said the money had been allocated by the Department of Disaster Preparedness for the rehabilitation of the calamity-hit residents of Imam Sahib district.
“The provincial council head has pocketed six million afghanis and there is no clue where the money has gone,” he claimed. The governor said when they sent a delegation to inquire about the money, the provincial council head and his colleagues staged protests.
Last week, some residents staged a protest demonstration, accusing the governor of failing to ensure security and demanded his resignation.
According to the governor, there were problems which could not be addressed over the past 14 years in Kunduz, where illegal armed and mafia groups remained major sources of insecurity.
Mohammad Yousuf Ayubi, the provincial council head, denied the governor’s claim as baseless and asked him to produce evidence in support of his allegation.
“The governor always raises such false claims against the provincial council. His allegation is pure lie. We, the representatives of people, monitor government’s performance and our protest was against the problems in the province,” he added. He said if the government proved his claims, he was ready to stand trial.
Mir Aqa Etibar, the Disaster Preparedness director, expressed his unawareness about any embezzlement in the assistance, which he said had been used through his department.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.