12 attacking rebels killed in Badakhshan battle
KABUL (Pajhwok): Two foreign fighters were among a dozen militants killed during an hours-long still unfinished clash with security forces in northeastern Badakhshan province, officials said on Friday.
Several other insurgents were wounded in the fierce firefight that broke out on Thursday and continued until late into the night in Warduj district, provincial deputy police chief Sakhi Dad Haideri told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said a large number of militants attacked the district’s security centre, but faced with stiff resistance from security forces. A dozen attackers were killed, including two foreigners, he added.
Scores of attackers were wounded as the skirmishes periodically continued until Friday noon.
The official said the security centre housed border police personnel and the clash left one border policeman dead and another three wounded.
He also said they had requested air support from Kabul, but there had been no positive response as yet and that the security centre remained besieged by the insurgents.
Provincial council chief Abdullah Naji confirmed the battle that he said was underway for the last 16 hours and security forces remained surrounded, calling for a prompt air support.
He claimed the attack involved 300 Taliban fighters, including 70 foreigners.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.