Logar air raid findings to be revealed soon: MoD
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Defence (MoD) on Saturday said its investigations into an American airstrike on an army outpost in central Logar province have been completed and would be made public soon.
Eight Afghan soldiers were killed and another half a dozen wounded on Monday morning when two US helicopters bombed their outpost in the Baraki Barak district of Logar.
A senior army commander had said the airstrike involved two US helicopters that targeted the ANA outpost in Chaltan area. The helicopters attacked the post on which an Afghan flag was clearly visible.
Brig. Gen. Dawlat Waziri, MoD deputy spokesperson, told a press conference in Kabul their findings would be announced most probably on Sunday.
“The fact-finding commission’s work has been completed 90 percent and most probably they would be announced tomorrow. If not tomorrow, the day after they would definitely be publicised.”
The deputy spokesperson said major clearing operations in northeastern Badakhshan province were in the offing. Some operations are currently ongoing in parts of Badakhshan and no area is in danger of falling to insurgents.
Sediq Siddiqui, Ministry of Interior (MoI) spokesman, said reinforcements had been dispatched to Warduj district to stabilise the situation in Badakhshan. Clearing operations will start soon in Faryab, Kunduz, Helmand and Baghlan provinces.
Dozens of insurgents have been killed in the past 72 hours in different parts of the country, Waziri said, adding ANA had also lost 12 soldiers.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.