Retaking Dasht-i-Archi beyond local forces’ capacity: PC
KUNDUZ (Pajhwok): The Kunduz provincial council on Saturday said regaining control of Dasht-i-Archi district was beyond the capability of local forces.
It urged the government to conduct major operations and send reinforcements to
Dasht-i-Archi, which fell to insurgents one month ago.
Mohammad Yousuf Ayubi, provincial council head, blamed the Kunduz administration for its negligence that led to the fall of the district.
“We warned the local officials many times by telling them the people of the district faced problems and we would protest by closing roads, but all our calls fell on deaf ears,” he complained.
The public representativesaid regaining of the district’s control was beyond capability of the local forces and reinforcements be sent to the province.
Ghulam Rabbani, provincial council member, said the people of Dasht-i-Archi faced many challenges and the government should take immediate action to drive the insurgents from the town.
But Syed Sarwar Hussaini, police spokesman, said the government had major plans to regain control of the district.For security reasons, he did not give details.
The Chardara district of Kunduz was also overrun by the Taliban for a short period of time before they were pushed back by the security forces last week.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.