No letup in violence even after Pakistan-backed talks: Faisal
KABUL (Pajhwok): Javed Faisal, spokesman for the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Abdullah Abdullah, on Tuesday said Afghanistan expected sharp decline after first round of direct talks with Taliban but insecurity continued to haunt the nation.
He lamented groups behind insurgency in Afghanistan still enjoyed active Pakistan’s support and they were not refrained from their activities despite Pakistani officials’ pledges following first round of talks with Taliban.
Afghan government delegation and Taliban representatives held face-to-face talks last month in Murree, a tourist resort close to Pakistan’s capital Islamabad.
The government was sincere about talks with Taliban, he said, suspecting Pakistan did not stop supporting insurgent groups in Afghanistan. Afghan government expected dramatic decline in militants activities in the country after the first round of talks ended in Islamabad.
According to Faisal, the government was committed to peace talks with Taliban and would explore every opportunity that could guarantee peace and prosperity in the country.
He said the second round of talks would be held soon, but did not give information about the venue and exact date of talks with Taliban.
The second round of talks with Taliban were expected to kick start from july,30 in China, but government sources revealed that second round was also expected to take place in Pakistan.
Earlier, a Pakistan security official, who wished to go unnamed, said that second round of talks between Afghan government and the Taliban would take place in Islamabad as well. He hoped the takes would bear positive result.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.