13 rebels killed in Helmand operation
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): At least 13 insurgents have been killed during separate clashes while six other militants joined peace process in southern Helmand province, an official said Wednesday.
Helmand Governor Mirzakhan Rahimi told a press conference that six militants joined the peace process who were fighting against the government for the past few years.
Rahimi assured the militants who shunned violence would help ensure security in the area.
He called on other militants to renounce insurgency and join with the government.
Provincial Peace Committee head Fazal Bari Fayaz said that the militants joined the peace process were operating against the government in Nad Ali district.
Those militants joined the peace process would receive payment for six months, he said, adding the government should also provide job opportunities to them.
Based on the provincial Peace Committee, 200 militants have been so far joined the peace process in Helmand.
According to another report, 13 rebels were killed during an operation in Nawzad district of Helmand.
A statement from the 215th Maiwand Military Corps received by Pajhwok Afghan News said the militants were killed during a clearing operation in the district last night.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.