More districts to be purged of militants: MoD
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Ministry of Defense (MoD) on Thursday said that Afghan forces had launched 560 military operations in different parts of the country and inflicted heavy casualties on militants.
MoD Operation director Maj. Gen. Afzal Aman told a press conference the operations were included clearing, special operations, night raids and other offensives to eliminate rebels from their strongholds.
He sait hat hundreds of militants had suffered casualties while 700 were arrested by Afghan forces in the offensives.
Afghan forces had demonstrated capability to flush out rebels after their control over 40 districts during the ongoing year, Aman said, adding that the operations started from one and half year were intensified from the last four months.
He did not provide exact figures of casualties but said that Nawa district of Ghazni province, Khak Afghan district of Zabul and Baghran and Disho districts of Helmand province were currently under rebels’ control.
Aman added that they had plans to recapture the districts as soon as possible.
Afghan forces from two days were fighting against militants in Nawzad district of Helmand, he said, adding that security forces had a tactical retreat during the fight.
“Afghans’ enemies have recently taken control of some areas of the country on a temporary basis, but measures had been taken to retake control of those areas,” he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.