Govt has failed to empower women, admits Nazari
KABUL (Pajhwok): Women’s Affairs Minister Dilbar Nazari acknowledged on Sunday the government's failure to deliver on most of its pledges regarding empowering women and expanding their decision-making power.
She expressed these views at an inter-ministerial level meeting focused on discussing coordination among different ministries with regard to “women's empowerment and protection”.
Nazari said the women’s empowerment and protection programme had been approved in 2008, but no government institution could practically work on its implementation.
She insisted it was every ministry’s responsibility to play its part in making the women’s protection programme a success. She urged the officials concerned to fully participate in the programme.
Elimination of gender-based violence, improvement of women’s capacity, giving decisions-making slots and ensuring their safety were the salient features of the programme, she explained.
Fourteen individuals have been appointed to the decision-making body at the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT), but it is regrettable they included no woman.
“The execution of this programme has been included in the Women’s Affairs Ministry’s 100-day action plan,” said Nazari, who urged participants of the meeting to enforce the plan on a priority basis.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.