Commanders among 29 insurgents killed in Logar, Sari Pul
PUL-I-ALAM (Pajhwok): Two commanders were among 29 militants killed during airstrikes by foreign forces and ground operations by Afghan security forces in central Logar and northern Sari Pul provinces, officials said on Thursday.
Logar Governor Mohammad Haleem Fidai told Pajhwok Afghan News foreign forces carried out the airstrikes in Babos area of Pul-i-Alam, the provincial capital, last night, killing a dozen Taliban militants, including a notorious commander Maulvi Abdul Wahid Badr.
Another eight rebels were wounded in the airstrikes that targeted Badr, who had been fighting against the government for years.
Hijratullah, a resident of Babos area, told Pajhwok Afghan News the airstrikes and subsequent firing started in their village about 11pm and continued until 3am. He said they came to know in the morning that some militants had been killed.
The Taliban have said nothing so far about the strikes.
Elsewhere on Thursday morning, the quick reaction force headquarters came under a suicide attack in central Logar province, killing three civilians and as many policemen. Another 26 people, including eleven doctors and three policemen, were injured in the attack.
In Sari Pul, the acting governor, Abdul Jabbar Haqbin, told Pajhwok Afghan News Afghan security forces on Thursday morning launched an operation codenamed “Shamshir-2” in the Kohistanat district.
So far 17 insurgents, including a commander Abu Bakkar, had been killed and eight villages cleared from their presence.
A tribal elder in Kohistanat district, wishing anonymity, said Taliban commander Abdu Bakkar was killed at about 10am on Thursday and his funeral prayers were offered in Laghman area near Sari Pul city, the provincial capital.
There has been no word from the insurgents about Abu Bakkar’s death.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.