Dozens feared dead, wounded in Kabul suicide blast
KABUL (Pajhwok): A suicide bomber smashed his explosive-laden vehicle into the building of National Directorate of Security (NDS) close to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) in capital Kabul early Friday, amid fear that the attack left 120 persons dead and wounded, eyewitnesses said.
The explosion was so powerful that it entirely jolted several parts of capital Kabul. The blast took place at around 1:00 on Friday morning, an official said.
Media quoted senior official as saying that Vehicle-borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED) was detonated near Shah Shaheed area. The official feared the blast inflicted heavy men losses and damaged several residential buildings.
Bani Sher, a resident of Makro Ryan locality, told Pajhwok Afghan News he heard loud explosion which left windows of his flat completely broken but he did not know about exact location of the blast. “It took place late at night. I don't know about exact number of casualties or other damages,” he added.
“Most families are awake since it is weekend and people usually awake till late Friday night but my youngest siblings woke up because of the intensity of the explosion,” Sultan, another resident of old Makro Ryan said, adding that windows of several flats shattered.
However, an official at the Ministry of Health said that more than 120 wounded persons had been shifted to hospital so far.
More details to follow shortly:
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.