Suicide bomber kills 15, wounds 283 in Kabul
KABUL (Pajhwok): A suicide bomber smashed his explosive-laden vehicle into the building of National Directorate of Security (NDS) office close to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) in capital Kabul early Friday, leaving 15 persons dead and 283 wounded, the president's national security advisor said.
Hanif Atmar said that President Ashraf Ghani had appointed to assess losses and damageds inflicted by the devastated bombing. The president, Atmar said had directed to assist the damaged houses and shops after the assessment survey was completed.
The explosion was so powerful that it jolted several parts of capital Kabul. The blast took place at around 1:00 am, an official said.
Media quoted senior official as saying that Vehicle-borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED) was detonated near Shah Shaheed area. The official feared the blast inflicted heavy men and material losses.
Abdul Kabir, director of hospitals in Kabul, told Pajhwok Afghan News at least eight persosn were killed and around 400 wounded persons shifted to hospitals. Most of the wounded persons, he said, included women and children, who were discharged from hospitals after initial treatment.
Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi, Kabul police chief, also confirmed eight died and 124 injured in the blast.
The spokesman of the Ministry of Interior said that explosive-laden vehicle detonated in front of the spy network office near Ministry of Defence and damaged several surrounding buildings. At least five staff of the office sustained minor injuries in the explosion.
A security officials wishing anonymity said that a suicide bomber hit VBIED to the cemented wall of the intelligence agency office which destroyed several sections of the office. It was weekend therefore there were few staff left in the office, he added.
Reporters of Pajhwok Afghan News reported from the scene that the blast destroyed around 20 meters cemented wall of the Ministry of Defence and also completely damaged another building. Several shops and 12 vehicles had been damaged in the blast.
There is no immediate claim of responsibility for the gruesome attack.
Bani Sher, a resident of Makro Ryan locality, told Pajhwok Afghan News he heard loud explosion which left windowpanes of his flat completely broken but he did not know about exact location of the blast. “It took place late night. I don't know about exact number of casualties or other damages,” he added.
“Most families were awake since it was weekend and people usually awake till late Friday night. My kids woke up because of the intensity of the explosion,” Sultan, another resident of old Makro Ryan said, adding that windowpanes of several flats shattered.
However, an official at the Ministry of Health said that more than 120 wounded persons had been shifted to hospital so far.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.