15 militants dead in Nangarhar offensive, drone strike
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): At least 15 insurgents, including four foreign fighters, have been killed and a suspect arrested during an operation in eastern Nangarhar province, an official said on Sunday.
Col. Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal, provincial police spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News that Afghan Special Forces lunched anti-militants operation in Ghani Khel district early in the morning.
He claimed dozens of insurgents were killed and wounded and the security forces recovered heavy arms and ammunitions from the fleeing insurgents.
Meanwhile, Afghan National Security Forces have detained a suspect in Behsud district, Mashriqiwal said.
Separately, a person who wished to go unnamed told Pajhwok Afghan News that a dreaded Taliban commander Farhad was also killed in the operation along with five of his accomplices.
Late last night, ten rebels were killed in US drone strike in Haska Mina near Gorgori area, he said, adding that four foreign fighters were among the dead. However, he had no details into the nationality of the slain insurgents.
Obaidullah, a resident of Haska Mina, said Afghan security forces carried out the anti-militants offensive in parts of Gorgori area in Shabi village in which scores of rebels had been killed.
However, Taliban have not yet commented on the incidents.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.