29 illegal armed men dead in Kunduz blast
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): At least 29 persons were killed when a powerful blast ripped through a gathering of illegal armed men in northern Kunduz province late on Saturday, an official said.
Hayatullah Amiri, Khanabad district chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the explosion took place at around 7: 30 pm in Shorab Bandr locality of the district.
He believed that landmines were planted ahead of the gathering, which exploded through a remote controlled device.
Four commanders were among those died in the explosion, he said, adding that 14 militants and five armed men were wounded who instantly evacuated to a nearby hospital.
Shamsullah, a shopkeeper in the locality, said that it was a mammoth gathering by illegal armed men and at least 25 persons were killed and wounded. Qadeerak, Sardar, Qalandar and the son of Abdul Wahid were among the dead commanders.
No group so far claimed credit for the attack. Around 7,000 illegal gunmen have presence in northern Kunduz province, officials have said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.