US Rice condoles with Ghani on Kabul attacks
WASHINGTON (Pajhwok): The US National Security Advisor, Susan Rice, on Saturday called President Ashraf Ghani, to express her condolences over the deaths in the suicide terrorist attacks in Kabul this week.
In addition to Rice, the Assistant to the US President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, Lisa Monaco, spoke with the Afghan National Security Advisor Hanif Atmar, to express the deepest condolences of the American people on the deaths and injuries resulting from the terrible attacks yesterday in Kabul, said the White House in a statement.
“These heinous attacks left more than 40 Afghans dead, including women, children, and Afghan police cadets preparing for graduation, and hundreds of Afghans wounded,” the White House said.
Ambassador Rice and Monaco conveyed that the thoughts and prayers of the American people are with the families of the victims, their families, and loved ones, the statement said.
Ghani and Atmar also extended their condolences for the loss of one US soldier and several US soldiers wounded in the attack. Rice and Monaco each reaffirmed US support for Afghanistan as it confronts terrorists who target innocent civilians and threaten the stability and security of Afghanistan, the White House said.
“They further noted that the United States and our international partners remain committed to the Afghan government of national unity in its efforts to achieve a stable, secure, and prosperous Afghanistan,” the statement said.
Earlier in s statement, the State Department spokesperson, Mark Toner, strongly condemned the series of insurgent attacks in Kabul.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.