9 dead, dozens wounded in offensive, drone strike
JALALABAD/SHARAN (Pajhwok): At least 14 militants have been killed and 18 others wounded in clearing operation and US drone strike in eastern Nangarhar and southeastern Paktika provinces, security officials said on Wednesday.
A statement from the 201st Selab Military Corps said nine insurgents were perished and 18 others wounded during ongoing offensive in the Sherzad, Hisarak and Khogyani districts of Nangarhar province.
Ten suspected militants and Pakistani doctors who treated the injured rebels had been arrested during the operation, the statement said.
Meanwhile, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, the governor’s spokesman , said security forces had cleared the road between Jalalabad, the provincial capital and Khogyani district and people could travel without fear.
The statement said insurgents mounted attack on security forces check-posts in the Sokai district of eastern Kunar province but was repulsed by Afghan forces.
Militants suffered heavy causalities in the attack, it said, adding that security forces escaped unhurt in the clashes.
Separately, five insurgents were killed in a US drone strike in the Nakah district of Paktika province, the governor’s spokesman said.
Nabiullah Perkhel said the missile strike took place in the Nakah locality targeting the Haqqani Network militants. The dead bodies of insurgents were handed over to their families.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.