Civilian casualties rise in northern zone: AIHRC
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): The Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) on Thursday expressed concern over a surge in civilian causalities in the northern zone this year.
At least 44 people have been killed and more than 600 wounded this year during incidents of violence in northern zone.
Hayatullah Amiri, director AIHRC in northern zone, told Pajhwok Afghan News civilian losses occurred due to suicide bombings, roadside explosions, magnetic bomb blasts and armed conflicts in Kunduz, Baghlan and Takhar provinces.
He said in the past five months 21 incidents of violence took place in which 25 men, six women and 13 children were killed and 527 men, 35 women and 37 children wounded.
He said 26 people including women and children had been died and 589 wounded only in Kunduz that showed a higher rate f casualties compared to Baghlan and Takhar provinces.
Earlier, the UN report showed as many as 1,592 civilians, including women and children had been killed and more than 3,329 wounded in the first six months of 2015 during incidents of violence in Afghanistan.
According to the report, 70 percent civilian causalities were caused by the militants. Civilian deaths and injuries caused by Afghan National Security Forces was 15 per cent and International Military Forces caused one percent of casualties. Fighting between the parties to the conflict that could not be attributed to one specific party caused 10 per cent of civilian casualties while unattributed explosive remnants of war caused the remaining four per cent.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.