Journalists form committee after attack on reporter
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): Journalists in northern Balkh province on Thursday formed a committee to persuade government functionaries to investigate threats the community faced in the northern zone.
The journalists protection and oversight committee on threats was formed hours after an Afghan reporter with Deutsche Welle, a German international broadcaster, Abdul Hamid Sapi, was attacked by unknown gunmen on Wednesday night.
The reporter was travelling home in his car when came under attack on the road between Kod Barq and Mazar-i-Sharif in the limits of Dehdad district.
Sapi told a press conference in Mazar-i-Sharif that two masked motorcycle riders singled him to stop, but he did not and then the gunmen opened fire at his car.
Sapi, who escaped unhurt, then informed the police who rushed to the scene. Sapi said he remained safe but his car was damaged.
His car’s rear glass was broken and bullet holes were visible on the backside of his vehicle.
Gulab Shah, the president of northern zone journalists union, asked the government to provide security to media persons.
He said two journalists had been killed and several others threatened so far, but not a single case could be decided or any progress shared with the media.
Noor Agha Sharifi, NAI office in-charge for the northern zone, said the government and security forces should investigate incidents of violence against journalists.
He said the newly formed committee would meet government and security officials as soon as this week.
Two days ago, a journalist and writer, Hamid Muqtadir, hanged himself to death in Mazar-i-Sharif, but circumstances surrounding his death remain unknown.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.