‘Funds shortage again halts work on Behsud Bridge’
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Construction work again halted on the vital Behsud Bridge in eastern Nangarhar amid claims of unavailability of funds, an employee of the construction company claimed on Saturday.
The construction work on the bridge was initiated last year which would link Kunar, Nuristan, Laghman and 27 other districts to Jalalabad city. The construction had been commenced with snail’s pace due to unavailability of budget.
The new bridge has been constructed adjacent to the old which had been damaged due to several bomb explosions.
Dr. Mayar, director of Alingar Alkozai Construction Company, told Pajhwok Afghan News that 56 percent of construction of the bridge had been completed but public works department still did not release the payment on time.
“The duration of contract has been completed but since we have not been paid our expenses therefore we have delayed the construction of the bridge,” he added.
As per the agreement, the department of public works should have release the funds after receiving each bill and deduct 10 percent security. The agreement of extension of the project has not been dully signed which has been handed over to public works department,” he noted.
Director Public works department Eng. Rasool Gul confirmed the department had not paid the amount to the company due to shortage of budget last year.
The traffic has been increased on old bridge which caused traffic blockade in the area.
Rahmatullah, a resident of Behsud district, said: “I am a student and use the route daily and always the road gets blocked on Behsud Bridge, therefore it should be constructed as soon as possible.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.