Civilians bear brunt of clashes in Tagab district
MEHMOOD RAQI (Pajhwok): At least 30 civilians suffered casualties during the past one month in clashes between security forces and insurgents in the Tagab district of central Kapisa province, residents said on Tuesday.
They said the clashes had recently intensified in the troubled district, with local residents bearing the brunt of the situation.
Shah Zaman, who lives in Badar Ab village of the district, told Pajhwok Afghan News that it was a few days ago when gunmen on motorcycles arrived at the area bazaar and prayed with bullets shopkeepers.
He said the broad daylight incident took place at a time when police were present in the bazaar, but the attackers were able to flee.
Mohammad Zarif, a resident of Korai area, said armed militants used to open fire at civilian vehicles on the main highway and thus causing casualties to civilians
A few days ago, he recalled, gunmen opened fire at a civilian vehicle on the road between Nijrab and Tagab district, injuring seven civilians, including three women.
Gul Jan, who owns a shop in the district bazaar, told Pajhwok Afghan News insurgents often attacked security forces in residential areas and civilians suffered casualties when the forces retaliate.
A local police commander in Tagab, Khwaja Agha Sapi, said 30 civilians had suffered casualties during the past one month.
He told Pajhwok Afghan News that insurgents used civilian homes as bastions to carry out attacks on security forces and civilians were also often caught in the crossfire.
The governor’s spokesman, Qais Qadari, told Pajhwok Afghan News security posts had been increased on the highway between Nijrab and Tagab districts.
He said insurgents had been driven from most of areas along the highway as a result of a recent major operation.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.