Gen. Dostum escapes unhurt in Faryab insurgent attack
MAIMANA (Pajhwok): The convoy of 1st Vice-President Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum came under attack in the Qaisar district of western Faryab province on Friday, but he and his colleagues escaped unhurt, the deputy head of Janbish-i-Milli claimed.
Last week, Dostum had said during his trip to Faryab that he did not go there to raise private militia groups but he was guiding Afghan security forces and local people against the insurgents.
Masood Ahmad Masood, the Junbish-i-Milli deputy chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News that gunmen mounted the attack on Gen. Dostum’s vehicles in the Doabi locality of the district.
Some shrapnel hit Dostum’s armored vehicle but he and his companions did not suffer any injury, he said, adding that four Taliban fighters were killed and seven others wounded in retaliatory fire.
But Rehmatullah Qaisari, the town’s administrative chief, said that six militants were killed in the ensuing battle and their corpses were still lying in the area.
On the other hand, Habib-u-Rehman, a journalist covering Dostum's visit, said eight Taliban were killed and 13 were arrested by security personnel, who also recovered some arms, ammunition and motorbikes . However, the militants are yet to comment on the firefight.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.