Foreigners among 14 killed in Kabul suicide blast
KABUL (Pajhwok): Three foreigners were among at least 14 people killed and another 66 civilians wounded on Saturday when a suicide car bomb went off in capital Kabul, an official said.
The powerful explosion that targeted a NATO convoy took place in front of a privately-run Shinozada hospital in an area between the third and fourth Macro Rayan residential blocks in the limits of the 9th municipal district at round 4:30pm.
NATO’s Resolute Support (RS) mission confirmed the killing of three foreign contractors in the explosion, but did not reveal their nationalities.
Earlier, Wahidullah Mayar, the spokesman for the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), said 12 people, including a foreigner, had been killed and 66 others wounded in the late Saturday’s bombing.
He said nine civilians were among the dead while the wounded were all civilians. Nearly a dozen cars, including those of foreigners, were destroyed in the explosion.
Kabul police chief Brig. Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi told Pajhwok Afghan News most of the victims were civilians.
Nisar Ahmad, an eyewitness, said it was a powerful explosion that took place near a crowd of people at a time when school children were going back home.
Mohammad Naeem, another eyewitness, said the explosion destroyed a nearby mosque and it impact was felt in nearby areas.
The blast comes 10 days after President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Abdullah Abdullah accused Pakistan of being complicit in earlier deadly blasts in Kabul that claimed around 80 lives and wounded over 500 people.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.