MCIT spokesman resigns against rampant fraud
KABUL (Pajhwok): The spokesperson for the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (MCIT) on Monday tendered his resignation against what he said to register protest over widespread but the ministry’s officials rejected his claim as baseless.
Nasrat Rahimi said one of the instances of fraud was in Salaam Communication Network, where telecommunication companies and the ministry joined hands in collecting credit cards of the network from the market and leading the company towards failure.
Speaking to journalists, he said the government employees should have received Sim Cards from Salaam network, but instead Sim Cards from private companies were distributed to them, affecting the company negatively.
He said after Salaam network started its activities and the communication prices in the country came down and the quality went up.
Despite investments of $65 million dollars in the network, neither the company could develop nor could it compete with other private networks.
Rahimi said the ministry had exempted the communication companies from penalties which was itself against the law.
Earlier, he said 90 percent of the country had communication coverage, but this coverage had reduced now. “In the past, more than 50 percent of the country had internet coverage, now it has reduced too.”
Rahimi said around $2.5 billion dollars had been invested in the communication ministry and if the government did not pay heed to the challenges the investments would go waste.
He alleged with the new minister taking over the challenges have gone up and because of the indifferences and graft, he was resigning.
However, deputy MCIT Minister Baryali Hassam in his chat with Pajhwok Afghan News rejected fraud and allegations of negligence of officials as baseless.
“Unfortunately Rahimi is not a professional man and his understanding about the ministry deplorable,” he said, adding that Rahimi was forced to resign due to his inefficiency and providing inaccurate information to the media.
He said that the telecommunication sector was on path to success and provides right information regarding progress in the sector. Nasrat Rahimi was sacked but he can continue work as an officer with the ministry, Hassam added.
Regarding improvement in Salaam, he said that the telecom company was more active than other companies in the country.
Hassam added that providing 3G services in 27 provinces and activating televisions digital system in the capital Kabul were among some achievements of the ministry.
Earlier the ministry’s officials had claimed that in the last one decade 22 million individuals used mobile phones and government earned more than $300 million on annual basis as tax from communication sector.
Five million people also used internet services through optic fiber and 3G networks.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.