Taliban leave Kohistanat district for Afghan forces sans resistance
SAR-I-PUL (Pajhwok): The Afghan security forces took control of the Kohistanat district in northern Sar-i-Pul province as Taliban militants left the district on Thursday night without offering resistance.
The latest development took place at a time when first vice-president Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum along with his 2,000 forces on Thursday entered Sar-i-Pul City, the provincial capital, amid warning to militants to shun insurgency and join peace process.
Before marching toward Kohistanat district, Dostum along with security forces arrived in Sayad district bordering Kohistanat to pave way for control of the latter.
Col. Inayatullah Habibi, a senior police official of the province, told Pajhwok Afghan News that militants left the district before the security forces entered Kohistant. Dostum, he said would hoist national flag on the district’s center today.
A resident of the district wishing anonymity said that armed rebels started leaving the district at around 4: 00 pm on Thursday without firing a single shot. However, militants have not yet commented on their retreat from the district.
Earlier on Thursday, on the head of his forces, Dostum while talking to the residents of Sar-i-Pul province warned insurgents to surrender and shun violence or be ready for a decisive action.
A few days back, Dostum launched military operations in northwestern Faryab province said around 300 kilometers square of central Faryab areas were cleared of rebels.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.