Shah Shaheed bombing victims protest delay in compensation
KABUL (Pajhwok): Relatives of the Shah Shaheed truck bombing victims on Monday said they were spending nights in ruined houses and the government was yet to keep promises of helping them.
At least 15 civilians were killed and nearly 500 others wounded in the huge midnight explosion on August 7. A market was also destroyed and hundreds houses in the Kabul neighbourhood damaged.
No groups have so far claimed responsibility for the attack. Tens of victims of the incident protested against the government’s inability to keep the promises and its lethargic response to their plight.
One of them, Mohammad Tahir Sultani, told Pajhwok Afghan News: “We do not want food from the government; instead we want our homes reconstructed. We want to live in an honourable way.”
He said a bag of flour and some cooking oil could not resolve their problems and the government should avoid cheating people. Sultani, who has lost two members of his family, said it had been one month but the government was yet to honour its commitment.
He warned of blocking the Karta-i-Naw and Shah Shaheed roads if the government did not compensate them.
Habibullah, another protestor who lost two sisters and mother in the incident, said food could be easily found but they faced problems living in ruined houses. He also asked the authorities to take urgent action to construct their houses.
A week earlier, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Abdullah had said that a committee had been constituted to survey the losses and distribute recompense to the victims.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.