14 Taliban killed in ‘first insider attack’ in Kunduz
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): A Taliban insurgent killed 14 of his colleagues before surrendering to Afghan security forces in northern Kunduz province, an official said on Tuesday.
Kunduz police chief Brig. Gen. Mohammad Qasim Jangalbagh told Pajhwok Afghan News the militant, who executed the insider attack, had been in contact with Afghan forces. He then surrendered to security forces in Yakatoot area of Imam Sahib district on Monday midnight, the official said.
A Taliban commander Mullah Baz Mohammad was among the slain insurgents, he said, adding that the attacker also delivered all 14 weapons to security forces he had taken from the dead rebels.
Imam Sahib district chief Amanuddin Quraishi named the attacker as Abdul Latif, who attacked a house where his colleagues had been invited and killed 14 of them.
The attacker, a resident of Imam Sahib, was accompanied by another man during the attack. The man directed him to reach the district center and surrender himself to police, Quraishi said.
It was apparently the first insider attack among Taliban ranks.
The Taliban have not yet commented on the incident.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.