12 rebels, civilian killed in Kunduz clashes
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): At least a dozen militants and one civilian have been killed in a fresh wave of violence in troubled northern Kunduz province, an official said on Wednesday.
Kunduz police chief Brig. Gen. Mohammad Qasim Jangalbagh told Pajhwok Afghan News the 12 militants were killed during separate clashes with security forces in Shura Khak and Aqtash areas of Khanabad district on Tuesday night.
The dead rebels included two commanders Mullah Abdur Rahim and Mullah Ahmad Shah and their eight fighters. They were killed in Shura Khak area, he said.
He said police confiscated two dead bodies of the militants and captured one rebel in wounded condition.
However, the Taliban on their website claimed the fighters putting up resistance against Afghan forces killed eight soldiers and wounded nearly a dozen others.
They said the clashes left three rebels dead and four others wounded.
Kunduz Provincial Council head Mohammad Yousuf Ayubi expressed his concern over the growing insecurity and said thousands of displaced families had arrived in Kunduz City from different areas of Khanabad district.
He said the government had done nothing so far to assist the displaced families. “If the situation persists, the problems will increase,” he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.