Kunduz judges want their security enhanced
KUNDUZ CITY (PAN): The Appellant Court chief in northern Kunduz province on Wednesday asked the government to provide security to judges and other officials of the court.
Fazal Rahman Fazli told journalists here three judges had been killed over the past two years in terrorist attacks and a fourth judge lost his eyes in those attacks and threatened by different groups.
The judge was speaking a day after a five-year-old child son of Maulvi Mohammad Yaqub, an employee of the court, was abducted from Kulali Street of Kunduz City.
He said the lives of the judges and court employees were in danger.
“I and all personnel of the court are not secure in our houses and office. When judges are not secure, they cannot deliver justice,” he said and warned of closing the court if their security was not ensured.
Judges could not perform their duty properly when they were not secure, another judge of the Appellant Court, Abdul Malik said. He asked the government to ensure that lives and properties of judges were protected.
Police spokesman Syed Sarwar Husaini said a police unit had been assigned with providing security to judges and prosecutors. He assured police were trying to secure the release of the abducted son of the judge.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.