70 rebels killed in Logar operation
PUL-I-ALAM (Pajhwok): Seventy Taliban fighters, four Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers and as many civilians have been killed during an operation in the central province of Logar, officials said on Monday.
Afghan security personnel launched the search operation three days ago in the Mohammad Agha district, Logar deputy police chief Major Qari Mohammad Wara told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Up to 70 Taliban fighters, four ANA soldiers and four civilians including a woman had been killed and 14 other ANA soldiers wounded during three days of the offensive, he said.
“We caused heavy losses to enemies during the ongoing operation and seized weapons, explosives and remote-controlled mines from them,” he added.
A Taliban notorious commander, Qari Burhan, accused of killing civilians and officials, was among those killed during the operation started a few days ago, the district chief, Syed Naeem Sultan, said.
“Hundreds of soldiers and tanks have come to our village to fight Taliban and the area people are confined to their homes,” a resident of Zarghon Shar area, Gul Agha, said, adding that more than 10 civilians had been killed in clashes between the warring sides.
However, a Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, confirming the operation, acknowledged the death of only three fighters and injuries to a fourth.
He claimed 11 security personnel were killed, several others injured and four vehicles of security personnel were destroyed during clashes.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.