NATO raid kills 17 counter-narcotics policemen in Helmand
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): Seventeen Afghan counter-narcotics policemen were killed as a result of an airstrike by NATO-led forces in the southern province of Helmand, officials said on Monday.
An investigation team had been dispatched to the scene, he said, without giving exact casualty figures.
Omer Zwak, the gubernatorial spokesman, confirmed the incident, saying the counter-narcotics police were conducting an operation in the area when the foreign troops bombed them.
A security official in the district, who wanted not to be named, said a total 35 security personnel took part in the operation. He claimed 31 of them were killed and four others taken away by foreign forces.
However, a spokesman for US forces in Afghanistan, Col. Brian Tribus, said they had conducted kinetic strikes in the Maiwand district of Kandahar province September 6 to eliminate threats to the force.
Any question regarding the Afghan counter-narcotics force casualties be put to the Ministry of Interior (MOI), the spokesman remarked.
Seventeen security personnel were killed in Sunday night’s assault by NATO troops in the Garmser district of Helmand, said the spokesman for the counter-narcotics department, Syed Mehdi Kazmi.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.