Shah Shaheed bombing victims seek govt compensation
KABUL (Pajhwok): Relatives of the victims of the Shah Shaheed truck bomb attack on Sunday protested against the government for not addressing their problems and blocked the Siah Sang road in Kabul.
The protest that emerged in the morning in Siah Sang area of Shah Shaheed locality turned violent at the start when police opened fire at the protestors, injuring one of them.
At least 15 civilians were killed and nearly 500 others were wounded in the massive midnight explosion on August 7, destroying a market and hundreds of houses in the Kabul city’s neighbourhood. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
Tens of members of the victims today protested against what they said government’s inability to keep promises and its lethargic response to their plight.
Haji Zahir, who lost two sons in the blast that injured his third son, was today himself wounded in the police firing. “Twenty-six days have passed since the Shah Shaheed bombing, but no one has assisted us so far,” he complained.
He said the government after the incident had promised to reconstruct their houses and treat the injured people free of cost. But he added almost one month had gone, no one visited the affected people to know where they lived and what they ate after losing everything to the blast.
A crying Zahir loudly said he would seek revenge of the victims on the perpetrators.
Frozan, another protestor, who was injured in her feet in the bombing, said: “The reality behind the Shah Shaheed massacre should be made known. We would not allow vehicles to pass through this road.”
An emotional Frozan said her five family members including her husband and children were injured in the incident.
She added her children could not attend school due to their injuries and they had been living in the houses of their relatives over the one month. The government should provide house to the affected people before the arrival of winter, she said.
A number of the protestors told Pajhwok Afghan News they would continue their protest until the government met their demands.
Afghanistan Solidarity Party spokesman Seli Ghafar, who joined the protest, asked the Afghan people to support the families and put pressure on the government to address their problems. “Shah Shaheed incident was secret and its reality must be revealed,” she said.
The protestors in their resolution letter asked the government to find the truth behind the incident and bring the perpetrators to justice. The government should financially support the affected families and provide them housing facilities.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.