Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Teachers’ strike closes 71 schools in Khost

Teachers’ strike closes 71 schools in Khost

Sep 14, 2015 - 17:08

KHOST CITY (Pajhwok): Teachers have closed 71 schools in two districts of southeastern Khost province as part of their ongoing strike, affecting 58,000 students.

The schools have been closed in Tanai and Gurbuz districts, with the striking teachers saying they are denied land plots  the government has allotted to them under a residential scheme.

The protesting teachers on Monday held a gathering in Tanai district. speaking on behalf of the teachers from Gurbuz district, Faiz Mohammad Zaland, a teacher at Ghaziabad school, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the government should distribute the allotted plots to teachers.

He said the land for teachers had been specified in Tanai district’s Segi area, but the plots had recently been occupied by some other people.

“The residential scheme had completed all the legal stages nine years ago, but since then we have been denied our rights. Powerful individuals, officials and some other people are involved in the land’s usurpation,” he said.

Another teacher from Tanai district, Badsha Muslimyar, said though the officials concerned had promised them the plots’ distribution, practical steps were yet to be taken.

“If teachers are truly regarded as guides in the societyinfo-icon and the worldinfo-icon, then why they are denied their rights?” he asked.

Yet another teacher Hidayatullah Massoudi said if the government did not accept their demand, they would continue boycotting classes.

“The government is responsible to hear our voices. If our demands are not considered, we will approach the Presidential Palace and will carry out indefinite protests,” he warned.

Deputy educationinfo-icon director Matiullah Fazli acknowledged the teacher township land in Segi area had been partially usurped, but said no one had the right to close schools and create problems for the education process.

“For the last three days, 71 schools in the two districts have been closed, a move that has deprived 41,000 boys and 17,000 girl students of studies,” added Fazli, who said they were serious in pursuing the matter and had launched joint efforts with the provincial administration and council.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update