Eidul Adha: Celebratory gunfire in Kunduz banned
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Police on Saturday announced a ban celebratory gunfire on the occasion of Eid-ul-Adha, which falls on Thursday, in northern Kunduz province.
Similar gunshots had left seven people dead and 270 others wounded in the province during Eid-al-Fitr, an official said. A thousand security personnel have been directed exclusively to ensure security during the festival.
Governor Omar Safi told Pajhwok Afghan News National Police, Public Order Police and Afghan National Army (ANA) forces had been tasked with preventing illegal gunfire during Eid celebrations.
He warned violators of the ban of being put behind bars and brought to justice. “I request the appellant court to order police to raid the houses where illegal fire takes place to arrest violators.”
The governor recalled several people had been killed and wounded in illegal gunfire during Eid-ul-Fitr celebrations in Kunduz, a practice that should be prevented.
At least seven people were killed and more than 280 others wounded as result of celebratory fire, including with toy guns, firecrackers and traffic accidents last Eid.
In order to prevent such casualties, 1,500 toy guns and firecrackers have been seized and torched in Kunduz City, according to the governor, who said he had ordered security forces to collect all toy guns from shops.
Police spokesman Syed Sarwar Hussaini said the toy guns recently imported from Pakistan had been seized by a security commission created to ensure security during Eid.
Meanwhile, residents praised the ban as an effective step toward improving security for Eid celebration, preventing casualties and enforcing public order.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.