4-year plan for IDPs being implemented: Balkhi
KABUL (Pajhwok): Refugee and Repatriation Minister Syed Hussain Alami Balkhi on Monday said a four-year plan was being implemented to resolve problems of more than one million internally displaced persons (IDPs).
Balkhi told Pajhwok Afghan News the plan had two parts including the provision of shelter to the one million people.
Under the plan, he said, some displaced families would be allotted residential plots and others facilitated in return to their original places.
“We are trying to implement this plan with the help of the government and in cooperation with the displaced people and relevant donor organisations,” he added.
For this purpose, he said, some localities for building residential towns had been identified in Kabul, Herat, Nangarhar, Badghis and Ghor provinces.
He said the UN-Habitat had allocated more than $12 million to be spent over the next three years in Nangarhar, Kabul and Herat provinces.
The aid would be spent on building health clinics, school buildings and projects like electricity and potable water, he explained.
“In general, we have sought $553 million from donor countries and they have promised a portion of it for now,” he added.
According to Balkhi, a majority of the IDPs currently lived under tents in Kabul, Herat, Ghor, Farah and Badghis provinces.
According to the Refugees Ministry more than one million people have been internally displaced due to insecurity and drought.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.